Episode 025: How To Break Your Limiting Beliefs And Find Success.
In this episode, we’re talking about our mindset around money and success. We dig into how we can break free of the limiting beliefs that hold us back as women, as the children of immigrants and maybe even as people who did not come from a background of means.
Types of Mindsets
The concept of fixed vs. growth mindset was crafted by Carol Dwek who is a leading researcher in the field of motivation. According to Doctor Dweck, people with a fixed mindset, believe their qualities are fixed traits and cannot change. These people credit their intelligence and talents for success rather than their hard work and grit. They also believe that talent alone leads to success, and effort is not required.
Alternatively, people with a growth mindset, have an underlying belief that their learning and intelligence can grow with time and experience. They believe they can get smarter, they realize that their effort and grit has an impact on their success, so they put in extra time, which then leads to greater success.
Another foundational concept is a money mindset. Our money mindset is the feeling and thought pattern we subconsciously develop towards money based on our life experiences. Because our mindset often controls our actions, developing a negative money mindset can create a barrier between you and financial health. It can also keep you in a place of stress and anxiety and it can keep you from achieving your financial goals.
How to identify what our mindset
Ask yourself this series of questions:
First, I would sincerely ask myself
- Do you find that you’re not very giving of your time and money because you think you need to hustle to make the next dollar and close the next deal? In the back of your mind, you’re always waiting for the other shoe to drop?
- Do you find that when you look into your heart of hearts, you have gone with the flow when it comes to your career? Did you really take the time to discover your true purpose, or did you just jump onto the path of least resistance to please those around you?
- Now no one likes to admit this to themselves but do you easily fall into groupthink in a way that you don’t challenge the status quo?
- Have you created a lifestyle that reinforces your self-limiting beliefs by either not pushing yourself to succeed at work, not setting money goals for yourself like saving X amount or paying off X debt? Are you pushing yourself to meet new people from different walks of life? Do you set stretch goals for yourself?
How do we shift that mindset
1.) Do some soul searching and admit to yourself where you are today.
2.) Catch yourself in the act and get to the root of your triggers.
3.) Find an accountability partner.
Join us as we dig into a few tools you can use to see what your mindset is around money and success as well as ways you can begin to expand your mindset.
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Mentioned in this episode:
- FREE HOW TO LAUNCH masterclass. If you’re ready to create the perfect launch plan for your new side hustle or business, join me on March 12th at 12 pm CST to learn launch strategies I’ve refined over the years. Save your seat by going to bit.ly/secrettolaunching.
If you’re looking for a community of supportive women who are looking to Go Off Script with their careers, lifestyles and businesses join us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ShesOffScriptCommunity
Thank you so much for listening!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, join our Facebook community, and follow us on Instagram!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.